"Then He brought Abraham outside and said, 'Look now toward heaven, and count the stars if you are able to number them.' And He said to him, 'So shall your descendants be.'" - Genesis 15:5On Saturday, October 22nd at about 5:00am my children and I sat on the beach at witnessed a beautiful display of "cosmic litter" as the earth passed through a trail of dust left by Halley's Comet. It is called the Orionids Meteor Shower. This particular meteor shower is dubbed Orionids because it appears to emanate from the constellation Orion.
As we stood there and looked at all the stars on this amazingly clear yet dark sky, it made me think of when the Lord had Abraham look out at the stars. I remember a time when Abraham's promise of hope was my hope as well. Trying to get pregnant for so long and believing God had children in my future regardless of the number of failed pregnancies I endured...it was all I could do to hold onto the promises God had given me.
My son Brendan has a knack for seeing those constellations. For me it is so difficult. I need someone to "connect the dots" in order to see it. In a way, when we are staring at the sky..all of those dots remind us of a picture of Hope. When God showed Abraham the stars and asked him to count them, He was giving him hope that the promise He had made to him, that he would have a son, was coming.
Upon reflecting on the promises of God, I humbly continue with my gratitude list or my 1000 gifts:
Thank you Lord for...
200. Your enormity - God of the universe - yet you still love me and care about me!
201. Time for special memories made with my arrows.
202. Promises fulfilled and unfulfilled which keeps exercising my faith.
203. The vast beauty all around that keeps my heart warm and grateful.
204. Your consistency...you were back in Abraham's time the same as you ARE now!
206. Direction....a path that is hidden in You...the only path I would choose.
207. My daily Bread...sustaining me...uplifting me...teaching me!
208. Being my solid Rock..the only one to bring stability and security to my often times crazy life!
209. A husband whose hand I can hold as we journey through our "dash" as a couple.
"And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him." Colossians 3:17 ESV