Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The 10-40 Window

So I have to brag on Sonlight again. It is changing the hearts of my children every day. On St. Patrick's Day it is tradition that all get new shirts. (This tradition started when I was dating Mike 20 years ago.) As I handed Brendan his shirt this morning he felt the need to tell me this:

"Mom you know what kind of shirts I like? The kind that say words on them. I want to make a shirt that says "I want to be a medical missionary" because that is what I want to be. Then I can make more shirts that say, "I want to be a doctor, I want to be a salesperson"...because everybody wants to be something someday. Then when I get all the money for selling the shirts, you know what I will do with that money...I will buy Bibles for the people who don't have Bibles in their own language and any money I have left over I will give to those people so they can see Jesus, like me."


Once a week we pray for a different country that does not have a Bible in their own language.



It comes from the book above which we use as a part of our curriculum with Sonlight. Brendan will usually read the exerpt and Shane will pray. We then go to our map and mark another place in the "10-40" window that we know we have covered in our prayers. I love that my children are becoming sensitive to the needs not only around us, but all over the world.


Next week the plan is as we begin our school day I am going to work on having my children understand the physical hunger that accompanies the spiritual hunger that many of these same countries experience.


I copied what you about to see from my friend's blog ...I'm pretty sure she copied it from somewhere else whom she gives credit too, but I think the lesson will be a good one for my children. I will maee each child a cup of rice and one for myself as well. When we get hungry, we will go to our bowl of rice and have little. I want to see their reactions...hear what they have to say when their little tummies are growling. We have so much to be thankful for...including the fact that we have a plethora of cereal choices for breakfast, the same choices for lunch and amazing meats and vegetables and starches for dinner, forget about the snacks that run our grocery bill up the roof! Thank you Lord for our bountiful supply, please show us what we can do to help those who are in need.


Here is where the idea came from:


On Wednesday March 11, 2009 Compassion International will be spreading the word through radio, TV, and blogs about the Global Food Crisis that is happening right now all over the world. This will be your chance to make a difference and join the fight against the global food crisis.


A friend of mine, Brock Gill, has a great challenge for all of us called The Rice Challenge. Here’s a little bit from his challenge…on Wednesday, I want you to take a cup of rice and live on that for a day. Call it a fast if you want. I will put it this way, if you can live on a cup of rice for the day then you will have a glimpse of what it is like to walk in their shoes. you will gain some serious perspective.


You will realize how blessed you actually are. The money that you would have spent on food for the day can now be donated to feed people around the world.


Here’s a few stats just in case you need a little convincing.


One person in seven goes to bed hungry every day.


One-third of the world’s population is undernourished.


There are 25,000 starvation-related deaths each day.


Each night more than 300 million children go to bed hungry.


Every day, over 12,000 children (one every 7 seconds) die from hunger-related causes.


Approximately 146 million or 27 percent of children under age 5 in developing countries are underweight.


Nearly 17 percent of babies in developing countries are born with a low birth weight compared with only 7 percent of babies in industrialized countries.


More than 4.4 million children die from malnutrition each year.


Worldwide, 161 million preschool children suffer chronic malnutrition.Sources: www.one.org, www.bread.org, www.unicef.org, www.who.int, www.unep.org

No comments: