Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Thanksgiving Proclamation


Thanksgiving marks the beginning of our very tradition filled season. Family traditions are so important to me. I think partly because I didn't have very many in my family growing up. So perhaps I overdue it in the traditions..but it works for us. I dream that one day my children will do these things with their children and thus the legacy continues.

We always take time to write the things we are grateful for. In years pass we've covered a door with large paper and gave crayons to write and draw pictures throughout the few days before Thanksgiving, we've made Thanksgiving wreaths and boxes and even trees with leaves that we've written things on. This year we've made a Thanksgiving Proclamation. Here is how we did it..it was loads of fun.
First we crumpled up so paper - to give it the "old" look. The more wrinkles the better!
 The question did come up if I wrote on paper like this when I was young in the olden days. (Sigh, Smile)
 Then we soaked it in tea.

 After soaking for a while, we placed them on cookie sheets to dry.
 If we weren't patient enough to let them air dry...well, there are other ways of speeding up this process...
 and it is equally as fun!
 I did mine first to demonstrate how this process is done. Then Brendan wanted to try it by himself.
 He actually did a great joy. Made it look so easy..that Kyle (because he is 10 years old) wanted to try it too. That didnt' go so well. His beautiful paper went up in flames. After the trauma..he said, "Well, I learned a lesson, paper burns very quickly under fire!" Yes it does!
 Just to be sure there was a difference...we compared and contrasted. Then we got down to the business of writing!
 What a fun way of documenting all the things we are thankful for this year. Remembering of course that ...
"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows." James 1:17

No comments: