Thursday, June 18, 2009

The Umbrella God Gave Me

Almost 20 years ago God gave me an umbrella and I am so thankful!

An umbrella according to Webster is the following:

1. A device for protection from the weather consisting of a collapsible, usually circular canopy mounted on a central rod. (Ok we get this one!)

2. a. Something that covers or protects. b. Air cover, especially during a military operation. (both a. & b. very good - I'll be focusing on this one!)

3. Something that encompasses or covers many different elements or groups. (& this one too - interesting)

4. Zoology :The gelatinous, rounded mass that is the major part of the body of most jellyfish. (I had to keep this in here...this was new to me! :))

It is not uncommon for me to be in my car waiting for the rain to let up just a little so I can run to my destination without getting soaked. Where is that umbrella? Oh, in my closet or in the trunk of my car! Been there before? Well, I learned very early never to be out and about without that special umbrella that God gave me 20 years ago!

When I say that I am thankful for this umbrella, I know that particular word does not do justice to how my heart overflows with gratitude. While we live in a fallen world it is impossible to dodge all "inclement" situations. It could be too much sun (and boy did I wish I had an umbrella yesterday at the beach..I am burned to a crisp today!). It could be pouring down rain! Both of which, if caught without your umbrella, can leave you feeling miserable. Think about those moments in life when you are caught in a storm. It could be finances, relationships, illnesses, stress, anxiety....all very inclement wouldn't you agree?

Twenty years ago God gave me an umbrella that I was to have and to hold till death do us part! That would be my husband. What attracted him to me when we first met 20 years ago (we will be married 19 years in December) was his heart for God and his love and passion to see people come to Jesus. Twenty years ago I served on a campus ministry team with this very wise man with a passion for Christ! His knowledge, understanding, and love of the Word of God, and his desire to serve God with all of his heart stood out among all others in my world! He is my umbrella. I learned very early on in my marriage to allow him that role that God gave him in my life and it has served me well. He is my protector, my coverage, and I am thankful that he is wise! That is why when women snicker about submission, I know they must not really understand what it means. Simply put (and believe me I can write a whole other blog about that subject alone) it just means standing under that umbrella that God gave you! For me, as I sit with my skin as hot as can be from sunburn, (who knew you could get burned even though you had a great tan already!?) I sit thankful for the umbrella God gave me in a Godly husband. We hold each other accountable to be students of the Word and we pray together and for each other! I love my umbrella & he is never stuck in my car trunk or in my closet! Thank you Lord for my handsome umbrella!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh Lisa, if every woman could experiance an "umbrella" that you talk about! I praise God for mine..I dont know what shape Id be in if I didint have him! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Lisa,

I'm a reporter for a website called momswhoblog.com. I'm really loving your blog so far and I'd be tickled to do a profile story on you. Please e-mail me if you're interested.

veronica.anderson@momswhoblog.com

Thanks! I look forward to hearing from you.