Tuesday, August 26, 2008

A Day In The Life Of...

Come on inside to our home, our school, our workplace. Just thought I'd give you a little glimpse of life under the Engel home on a normal school day. Since we are so blessed to be using Sonlight Curriculum, my children get a very rich History/Literature education starting at a very young age. This week (and a little of last week) we studied the various forms of currency, writing, clothing, food and hair/jewelery/makeup used in different countries. It has been fun spotting so many countries on our maps and then have a chance to make up our own language, ie. the Brendooli Language from my last post. We have also snacked on foods from China, Mexico, Italy and India. (Below is a picture of my boys trying an Indian drink called lassi. It was delicious!) Today we learned that people from just about every country arrange their hair, paint their faces and wear jewellery, and some do it for different reasons. My kids were amazed to learn that men of the Nuba people, from Sudan, paint their bodies to make them look strong and healthy. We learned about various Nuba face patterns and gave them a try at home. Brendan is what the Nuba people call "masked bird" and Shane is the "antelope". (of course Shane just thought it was better to be thought of as the black power ranger!)
That is a day in the life of a homeschooler. Here are a few pics of what we do during tropical storms:


This would be my husband with our children and our best buddies watching Tom & Jerry on TV!
Here are my children wanting oh so badly to get a job and drink coffee from a commuter mug - Just Like Dad!
This would be me and my humble attempt to get some of "Fay"!

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Nice post, thatnks for letting us into your home school and the storm video was good too. I'm glad toknow your trampoline survived!

Barclay 5 said...

You are having a ball homeschooling. Everyone looks great. I miss you too, especially after hearing your voice on the video clip.

I could get used to this beach living. What a blessing to be close to such a display of God.

David will be here after lunch, we can hardly wait.

Love to you, Lisa.
xo

Monica Kaye said...

I have enjoyed sharing your family's life these past months. My daughter began first grade last week, and I have to admit I miss her so much I am longing to home school. (I graduated from home school at 16!) I tagged you at my site for a meme. I have never done one before, so I won't be offended if you don't, but I have a link to your site for my readers. Blessings to you and yours! Monica

Momma-of-5 said...

Looks like a WONDERFUL life...

(minus the homeschooling thing cuz that's SO out of my realm of comprehension)