Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Don't Say Good-bye!

I have really lost it! This was my first year homeschooling and it has been one of the most rewarding times of my life. Not only have I learned so much, I have met so many wonderful homeschooling Moms and Brendan and I have had just an amazing time bonding and building our relationship. It has been incredible!

Today I read the last page of a book we have read all year long. A book entitled "The Llama Who Had No Pajama" it is a book of poems. Every week we read about 3 poems from this book and today's poem had me in tears. No, it wasn't sad, but the moment was sad. We are 2 weeks away from finishing our school year. We have used a very rich literature based curriculum and have read so many wonderful books that we are just sad to see it end. (My order for next year comes on Friday so I'll get my fix of new books soon). Next year I will be homeschooling, Brendan and Shane and then who knows Kyle may be next. For those of you reading this, I'm not neglecting Kyle, I'm just concentrating on his needs right now and how they will best be addressed. Right now, he needs absolute structure and he loves school! I'm pretty sure he is going to have an amazing teacher next year too! So we are not worried about 1st grade for Kyle.

In many ways, I feel like Brendan attended University this year. I used to teach high school, so this teaching 1st grade thing took some getting used to! Fortunately, Brendan is like a college student in many ways, so he was very patient with my learning curve! It is going to be a blast with Shane home next year, because he will bring a whole other dynamic to the mix. It will have to be more "fun" for Shane. Plus, its kindergarten. So, Brendan and I have already talked about what we might do differently next year to include Shane and we are so excited! I'm sure I will be posting more about the end of the school year stuff later, but for now as I bid my books good-bye for a season, now allow me the opportunity to give you a glimpse into our adventure:

Books I Read to Brendan:
The Apple & The Arrow, The Boxcar Children, Capyboppy, Dolphin Adventure, Dolphin Treasure, The Llama Who Had No Pajama, The Family Under The Bridge, Five True Dog Stories, A Grain of Rice, The House at Pooh Corner, The Hundred Dresses, In Grandma's Attic, James Herriot's Treasury for Children, Johnny Appleseed, The Light at Turn Rock, Mary On Horseback, My Father's Dragon, Richard Scarry's Please and Thank You Book, The Story about Ping, The Story of Doctor Doolittle, Twenty and Ten, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

Books Brendan Read to Me:
The Beginner's Bible (twice), Surprises, Pompeii...Buried Alive, Owl at Home, Frog and Toad Are Friends, Mouse Tales, Greg's Microscope, Hill of Fire, Frog and Toad All Year, Daniel's Duck, Amelia Bedelia, Nate The Great, Frog and Toad Together, The Big Balloon Race, The Fire Cat, The Sword and the Tree (he kept me thirsting for more every day), Wagon Wheels, The Titanic: Lost...And Found

Plus some amazing History Books like: Granny Han's Breakfast, Hero Tales, Living Long Ago and Wild Places.

When I read the list of books to Brendan that we had read, he just sat there and sighed at each one! Wonderful memories!

So to bid my books good-by here was our last poem:

"Good Morning When It's Morning"
Good morning when it's morning
Good night when it is night
Good evening when it's dark out
Good day when it is light
Good morning to the sunshine
Good evening to the sky
And when it's time to go away
Good-by
Good-by
Good-by.

No comments: