Saturday, October 12, 2013

Intimacy Only Found In Quiet

Me, in 1973 - I was 4 years old, but that is still me. There is a little girl/boy in each of us!

I try the best I can to express the necessity of quiet time. We tend to often find so many other things to get in our way, or perhaps we feel like we don't know what to do in this...quiet time.

I haven't been blogging lately. Hoping that changes. However, I have completed a book that is presently with the editor. That has taken up much of my creativity and writing time. No matter how busy I can be, the one thing I know that is necessary is my time with my Creator.

We don't have to spend our quiet time the same way or at the same time. That would be silly, you and I are very different. Sometimes I will close my eyes before I read anything, and just listen. Sometimes, I will start out with simple words of praise (HE is worthy of all praise). Then there are times, when I start off, much like that little girl excited to see her Daddy and tell him all that is on her heart. I know He's waiting for me....and that makes me smile.

A few weeks back, I sat in my spot and had just finished reading Jeremiah 29:13 "You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart I will be found by you,” declares the Lord,.." I closed my eyes and it was as if I were watching a silent movie...let me try and set the stage: I was running, like a little girl, through a thick forest. So many trees of all different sizes. Then I paused, leaned on a tree and almost out of breath I closed my eyes and starting counting...1..2..3..4..5..10..."Ready or not, here I come!" The smile on my face was filled with excitement and anticipation. I ran just a little bit and I see Jesus leaning up as if to hide behind a tree, but instead he was "hiding" IN FRONT of the tree. I laughed and ran up to Him and shouted..."I found You!" He embraced me and we both just laughed! Then I did it again. 1..2..3..4..5..10.."Ready or not, here I come!" This time He had wrapped His arms around the tree, so His hands and feet were clearly visible.

For a moment, I thought my heart could be sad, because that thought of How he allowed His hands and feet to be nailed to a tree briefly entered my heart. But I realized that is just how much He loves me.

So I sneaked up on Him and shouted...I found you! He acted surprised, but I knew He really wasn't. He again wrapped me up in His arms and twirled me around! We walked hand in hand..and played hide and seek again. He was so easy to find every time, because if  you will seek Him, you will always find Him!  Talk about intimacy! I still get teary just thinking about this time I had with my Jesus!

Today I woke at 5:00am. Got into my chair and closed my eyes. This morning I was searching for His gaze. You know that He is always present! I am aware that He dwells inside of me. I'm a part of Him. I want to see myself through His eyes. His gaze is true, steady, sure and untainted by sin. He sees me as one who is loved eternally, deeply, intimately. I find such peace in His presence, in His gaze.

There have been times, for much of my life that I would concentrate on what others saw in me. Others, however, always (to no fault of their own), see me through the filters of their own life and limitations. Christ does not have that problem. You see at one point in my life it was important to me that people liked me. OH the danger in this.

Now that I have come to understand my identity in Christ...I don't struggle with this nearly as much. I once read that the "major problem with letting others define you is that it borders on idolatry." You see, "your concern to please others dampens your desire to please your Creator!"

That is why I need to check in with my Creator every day - so He can remind me who I am in Him. Its a big deal! Not to mention the fact that the more time we spend with Him, the more we know Him and the more time we will want to be with Him. It really works just like that!

We were all created for intimacy. True, glorious, life changing intimacy is most definitely found in our quiet time. Have you had your quiet time today?


1 comment:

Michelle said...

good timely word for my life, love the hide and seek -m