Thursday, October 31, 2013

Our Greatest Joy

A walking stick and a cleft in a rock on Raven Run overlooking the Kentucky River
“No eye has seen, no ear has heard, and no human mind has conceived the things God has prepared for those who love him!" 1 Corinthians 2:9

I really admire Moses. Reading his entire story over the years I think that he's inspired me. Even this morning as I was reading in Exodus I know the Lord was speaking through his word to the unspoken need of my heart.

You know Moses never made it to the promised land (physically anyway). He obeyed God, helped lead the people out of Egypt,  put up with the crankiness of the people he lead for over 40 years. His journey was not easy that's for sure. We know he got frustrated and in his flesh reacted to the grumbling of the people and did not obey God this particular time...he was to speak to the rock and the Lord would show his power by making water come from the rock. (How many of us have ever reacted in our flesh due to frustration with others or circumstances?)  Moses ended up reacting and striking the rock instead.  Just so we are aware that in Exodus 17...the Lord had once before told Moses to strike a rock and water came out...but this time..in Numbers 20...he was told to speak to the rock. I'm a mother, my children at times could drive me to hit a rock...or react in ways I shouldn't. I've had to repent in the past for my reactions in frustration.


Cumberland Gap pinnacle in the early morning hours.
So here is the part that ministered to me today. Moses, was told he would not see the promise land. Numbers 20:12 "But the Lord said to Moses and Aaron, “Because you did not trust in me enough to honor me as holy in the sight of the Israelites, you will not bring this community into the land I give them.” OUCH!

I think the normal, understandable reaction would be to beg for mercy, cry, plead, use the old..."NOT FAIR!" He didn't react like that at all. Oh that we attain that reflection of God!

You see Moses's desire to be in the presence of God far outweighed anything else. I love this:

Exodus 33:18-23 Then Moses said, “Now show me your glory.” And the Lord said, “I will cause all my goodness to pass in front of you, and I will proclaim my name, the Lord, in your presence. I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.  But,” he said, “you cannot see my face, for no one may see me and live.” Then the Lord said, “There is a place near me where you may stand on a rock. When my glory passes by, I will put you in a cleft in the rock and cover you with my hand until I have passed by. Then I will remove my hand and you will see my back; but my face must not be seen.”

I LOVE his relationship with God! Once he saw God (even if it was just his back)...I would think that nothing else could come close to that moment! He got to see God!! He persevered through that entire journey in the wilderness..I wonder if in difficult times...he remembered the time He saw the Lord.


You know, things happen along our journey that could very well make us want to throw the towel in and give up. We may at times think...I thought I heard from God, but I must have been mistaken..this is way too hard and not turning out anything like I expected. 

GOD IS FAITHFUL....ALWAYS! I've been through enough to see the hand of God in the ninth hour and even after that to know...HE KEEPS HIS PROMISES! We get to see God all the time! He lives in us...we get to spend time in His presences whenever we choose to!

I want to encourage you, wherever you are not to give up - press on!

In the new testament, many many years after Moses' death he appears with Jesus on the Mount of Transfiguration. Matthew 17:1-3 "After six days Jesus took with him Peter, James and John the brother of James, and led them up a high mountain by themselves. There he was transfigured before them. His face shone like the sun, and his clothes became as white as the light. Just then there appeared before them Moses and Elijah, talking with Jesus." 

I been taught that this particular place, where this happened, where Moses appears with Jesus, is indeed the promised land. Not only was Moses now in the promised land...but he was face to face, talking with the very son of God. HE ALWAYS COMES THROUGH FOR US!

The Lord knows what He is doing! Even if things don't seem to work out on this side of heaven, we can't even imagine how amazing eternity will be! 

“No eye has seen, no ear has heard, and no human mind has conceived the things God has prepared for those who love him!" 1 Corinthians 2:9

I am pretty sure that the greatest joy in Moses' journey was to see and experience God.  I'm pretty sure that is to be our greatest joy as well.

No comments: