Friday, December 7, 2012

I Love Uncle Eric!


I know why I love Sonlight...this is one reason why! The books...the books are incredibly amazing! (I've been using Sonlight for the past 6 years...and don't ever see us changing!) We don't always get through every single read aloud (although I really really want to...and I own them all and plan too...someday). However, I rarely miss reading a history book.

Pictured above is Breaking Stalin's Nose (Brendan's reader this week) and Whatever Happened to Penny Candy...the history book I am reading to him this week. Brendan is studying The Eastern Hemisphere...where he has the opportunity to explore ancient and complex societies where the majority of the world's unevangelized peoples live. It has been so wonderful, so enriching for he and I both! While he is studying Russia he is learning about communism, this book Whatever Happened to Penny Candy by Richard J. Maybury...is showing the contrast by talking about capitalism, inflation, wages, money....the history of our economic system. This book is part of The Uncle Eric series of books written by Richard J. Maybury. Using the epistolary style of writing (using letters to tell a story), Mr. Maybury plays the part of an economist writing a series of letters to his niece or nephew. With stories and examples, he gives interesting and clear explanations of topics that are generally thought to be too difficult for anyone but experts. I will say again..BRAVO to Maybury for writing and to Sonlight for choosing this book!

I myself majored in Business Education in college then went on to pursue my Master's Degree by taking courses toward my MBA. I became a high school teacher and taught business economics, entrepreneurship and the like...this book....is by far one of the best I have ever read on economics.

We are reading this book and feeling like...we need to write our own letters to our government officials. Someone needs to shout out loud...that TANSTAAFL (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch)!! Really America...we need to wake up! I'm so excited because my children have been so involved in this past election, understanding what both sides were talking about, hearing both candidates make promises.

"TANSTAAFL, but few voters will face the fact that the real meaning of the cry, "I want! I want!" is "Tax me! Tax me!" In an election, it is important to be aware of The Lie. The Lie is, I will give you what you want, and you will never need to pay for it; I will force someone else to pay for it. The candidate who can tell The Lie most convincingly is the one who wins the election. In other words, at bottom, inflation is an ethics problem. The only way to stop the spread of inflation is to start the spread of ETHICS!..."

What a great quote from the book! Now, this coupled with the book I'm reading to my other two boys for their Early American History...is this...
The author Peter Marshall spoke at my church in New Jersey, years ago..and my husband and I remember thinking...WOW - this is how we want to teach history! I had forgotten all about this book...until this year. Another one of my favorite history books of all time! Indeed....we are one nation under God...we need to go back to that!

I have come to the conclusion that when I am through my perimenopausal crazy stage in life (because I'm just hanging on right now and couldn't add one more thing to my plate)...perhaps I'll run for mayor! Me and Uncle Eric. OH...Brendan has already agreed to be by my side! Here we are trying to raise boys who will be God fearing men, citizens, fathers, teachers and leaders in our world...should the Lord tarry of course. On the other side of my head and heart I read this morning from Revelation "The Spirit and the Bride say, “Come.” And let the one who hears say, “Come.” And let the one who is thirsty come; let the one who desires take the water of life without price." Rev. 22:17. - I would prefer the latter...come Lord Jesus...Come!


It's a great day when all of our schooling meets up with all of what is going on in the world and all the light bulbs go on at the same time! 

No comments: