Friday, May 4, 2012

If My People...

 ...who are called by My name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and I will forgive their sins and I will heal their land." - 2 Chronicles 7:14

Yesterday, May 3rd, was the National Day Of Prayer, the purpose behind this day is to mobilize prayer in America and to encourage personal repentance and righteousness in the culture. According to the official task force of the National Day of Prayer..."The National Day of Prayer is an annual observance held on the first Thursday of May, inviting people of all faiths to pray for the nation. It was created in 1952 by a joint resolution of the United States Congress, and signed into law by President Harry S. Truman. Our Task Force is a privately funded organization whose purpose is to encourage participation on the National Day of Prayer. It exists to communicate with every individual the need for personal repentance and prayer, to create appropriate materials, and to mobilize the Christian community to intercede for America’s leaders and its families. The Task Force represents a Judeo Christian expression of the national observance, based on our understanding that this country was birthed in prayer and in reverence for the God of the Bible."

My children and I were invited to join others in the "christian community" to do that very thing. Proclaim God's Word (because it never comes back void) and to pray for our nation! It was such a great honor to do this with my children. May these, our future generation, carry on our values and beliefs and passion to see this lost country with lost people and lost leaders come to the saving knowledge of Christ!
Here is our handsome "task force" above! My friend Susan is the one that told us about the opportunity! I love that one of the purposes of this local demonstration at the DeLand Courthouse included reading through the book of John and then as much Psalms as they could throughout the entire day. It was a constant flow of volunteers, reading verse after verse, chapter after chapter! 
While we were gathered during this particular time we followed along with whomever was reading. That is my boy below. The most shy of my three superheros! Reading through a chapter of John in front of some friends, some strangers and anyone who was passing by. It hit me at that moment, that this is what I pray for my children. That they would be a witness, unashamed to proclaim the gospel! There were a myriad of emotions flowing through this Mom at that moment. These homeschooled children, didn't think twice of standing in a public place, reading the gospel of John with people all around...I know Jesus was proud!
We didn't force the children to read. It was strictly volunteer. My shiest didn't flinch, but my youngest was nervous. He saw his friends (and one of them was a sweet 7 year old girl who read first) do it and it gave him courage. I love how God puts people in our lives to give us the courage to go forth and do what the Holy Spirit is nudging us to do. I am so thankful for the friends in my life and in the lives of my children who love the Lord and strive to honor Him, and help me along my journey too.

I did go and give him a little assistance. He would lose his place because this is my people oriented boy - looking at all the action going on outside our circle...I was there to get him back on track! I was so proud of him!
Then there is this young woman below. A soon to be teen. I've known her for years...and I love her! She is incredibly smart and beautiful and has no problem sharing the good news. God has big plans for her I'm sure!
The adults that were there to organize this demonstration, were touched to see our children. This Mom below had 3 young children and one on the way. I was so impressed with her passion. Getting out with three children under 6 and one on the way...I know she was like me...intentional. Doing this for her children..raising them to have a heart for what matters most. It was such an honor to pray and read with these amazing women.
When it was my turn to read my chapter, I got goosebumps. There is power in the spoke Word of God! Really there is! I had the honor of reading John Chapter 8. If you get a chance to read it...do so..and read it out loud...its powerful!

Then we had to get a picture of the crew of children on the steps of the courthouse!
They are children after all...apparently we can't get a shot without being goofy! :) Great memories!
After the photo shoot was over, we gathered in the shade to pray. This was so incredibly precious. The children all prayed from their hearts for our country, our leaders, our community. They prayed for peace, for our nation to return to its founding values. I was humbled as I agreed in prayer with our future generation.
Then we took a little time to visit the courthouse. To explain its purpose and look at all of the great pictures!

What a great group of people! I'm so glad we had this opportunity!!
After reading, praying and visiting...we decided to end our day with a quick walk to a Sweet Spot in DeLand. Ice cream for everyone...and water for me. :)


No comments: