Wednesday, March 13, 2019

50 Things I've Learned in 50 Years


Well, I cannot believe it. Fifty years old. I started blogging so long ago, with very different intentions. Primarily as a means to journal my memories of motherhood. Then it turned into sharing what I was learning in life and from the Word, and well today, perhaps this post is a culmination of all of that. Since on March 24th I will have lived for half of a century. So let's talk wisdom. I'm not sure I'm all that wise, or at least as wise as all the gray hair I'm hiding would have you believe, but I have learned some things that may or may not be worth remembering or sharing. Nonetheless, these are things I've passed down to my children as they are about to enter adulthood. Things I feel are important. My personal "proverbs" if you will. So...here are 50 nuggets of wisdom I've learned in the past 50 years (not in any particular order of importance). That's a lot of 50 in one sentence.

My qualifications for this post. :) 
  1. Some things matter, most things do not. Focus on the things that do.
  2. Do not complain - encourage!
  3. Jesus is the only one we have to please. If we do that well, we've pleased all the right people.
  4. Be genuine. Do not say things on social media to make people believe all is wonderful in your world only to be living a lie behind closed doors. (No need to air dirty laundry out there either.) Refer to # 2. If you have nothing to say that is truthful and encouraging - don't say it at all. 
  5. Read every day. Choose wisely, make it edifying to your spirit.
  6. Be quiet. Be modest in your words.
  7. Listen carefully.
  8. Your opinion is just that. Facts are facts.
  9. Holy Spirit will tell you how to live, how to eat and how to succeed. Listen to Him and allow others to listen to Him too. He doesn't need us to be little holy spirits to other people. 
  10. Do not entertain other people's drama. Stay out of it.
  11. Be careful who you share your personal life with.
  12. Pray every day, multiple times a day and pray in the Spirit.
  13. Read your Bible. It's your map to living.
  14. Be picky about who is speaking into your life.
  15. You can not have 500 best friends, but you CAN be the best friend to whomever you are with in that moment.
  16. Go to church. Get over your hangups and be a part of a local body. No body is perfect - but Jesus is and it's His church.
  17. Love deeply. Hug someone every day. It's important.
  18. Don't wallow in self pity - instead pray for someone else, or go be kind to someone.
  19. Give generously. Bless somebody every day in some way.
  20. Serve with a happy heart.
  21. Smile - it's contagious. (Cry if you need to, of course, we all need to cry sometimes too.)
  22. Be grateful - write down what you're grateful for.
  23. If you must vent - vent to the person you know will move you to the next place and will run to the cross with you. 
  24. Laughing is really important. If you're not laughing every day, find a child - they know how make you laugh. 
  25. Speaking of #24, learn to laugh at yourself, that's equally as important.
  26. Call your parents, grandparents or mentor in your life and tell them you were thinking of them. 
  27. Beware of judging others, you wouldn't want to be judged. Besides that, only God can be the judge.
  28. Exercise if you can. (I know its hard - I'm not all that good at it - but I know it's important).
  29. Bake cookies. NO I'm just kidding about this one. BUT be creative in some way...you have it in you.
  30. Journal. It's for you and for the person that finds what you've written 50 years from now.
  31. Do not hold a grudge or take offence. Life has too many precious moments that need to be captured that you will miss if you take offence. (besides this grieves the Lord and pleases the enemy.)
  32. Take pictures (or draw if you can) of God's beautiful creations.
  33. Listen to a teenager.
  34. Take care of your body - it is the temple of the Holy Spirit. (I'm a work in progress too)
  35. Remember grace. It's been freely given to you, thus it should be freely given from you as well.
  36. Music. Play it, write it, sing it, dance to it, listen to it. But again, like what you read, it should edify you in some way..so be picky. What you put in - will affect you.
  37. Do not make decisions based on emotions. (trust me)
  38. Pray for wisdom and patience. Do not believe the tale that if you pray for patience you will be given trials. The truth is trials exist anyway - so pray for wisdom and patience. 
  39. Make personal declarations. (Use the Word of God - its the best - "I CAN do all things through Christ who gives me strength!")
  40. Do not let your life get so busy that you forget how to relax. Even if you are busy with great things, everyone needs time to relax and refresh.
  41. In light of #40 - it is okay to say....NO. (If the person or thing that you say no to understands #31 it will all be good.) But say YES whenever you can without compromising #40. (It's a fine balance. :)
  42. Commit. Let your yes be yes and your no be no. When you are invited to something just say yes or no - don't wait to see if "something better comes along". Then be faithful in what you've committed to (this is so important).
  43. Leave the scent of joy behind whenever you leave (a conversation, a place...). Don't be high maintenance. 
  44. Stop being so critical. That's the wrong spirit. If you see that you could possibly help something run more smoothly or you have an idea to help make something even better, if you have an open dialog perhaps make the suggestion with tact. But do not assume the other person wants your advice. There is a difference between being helpful and being critical. Think we...not me.
  45. There is a difference between being proud and being prideful. Watch out.
  46.  Do not tell someone "Shame on you!" People deal with enough shame...use different words to get your point across. We are aiming for "Shame off of you!"
  47. If you are married, kiss your husband/wife every day.
  48. Make eye contact with people. Children and teens really need this.
  49. When you are out with family or friends, keep your cell phone in your pocket.
  50. Remember forgiveness. To whom much is given, much is required.
I read this to my family and they have assured me this is my heart and that it wasn't the first time they've heard me say these very things. These are just some of the things I have found that have stuck with me, that mean something to me. We may not be perfect at all 50 of these things all the time, but I do believe in every single one and strive to accomplish them in my life. I absolutely love turning 50. Best year ever! I'm so thankful and am so excited for the many more years I have left to enjoy it with my family and friends. Blessings to you and yours and Thank you for indulging this very long post.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Love this so much, Lisa!!! Yes! We are not little holy spirits lol! And #45 reminded me of Pride and Prejudice hehe! Seriously, what a fantastic list to live by. I'd say 50 sure looks great on you, friend!

Leslie Anne said...

Yes and Amen to every one of the fifty. Lord, mke us more like you every day.